We are a group of women (but men are welcome!) who have an interest in textile art and embroidery. We are of mixed abilities and there is no need for you to be able to sew to come and join us - there are no tests!
New members are always welcome - why not call in and join us as a guest for a few months?
Meeting fee for visitors is only £5.
Our meetings vary - we have talks and workshops, show and tell - we also have lots of weekend workshops and playdays. For details of what's coming up (and what's been and gone!) check out our programme below...

Sunday 25 June 2017

Inbetweeners - Hello Dolly!

Member Jo has taken a step in a different direction by making some fabric dolls. She started off with Mellie, and this is what she said : 
"Meet Mellie, my first Waldorf* style doll. The head and face are not quite what I wanted - I started off OK but seemed to lose the plot along the way somewhere. But I have learnt loads from making her. My aim is to do more art dolls in the future once I have grasped a few techniques but I have to say I am loving the cuteness overload! I just hope my textile group won't ban me!!!"**

True to her word, Jo has now made two other dolls, in more of an "art doll" style, and is continuing to experiment with her new-found skills. 



*A Waldorf doll (also called Steiner doll) is a form of doll compatible with Waldorf (or Steiner) education philosophies. Made of natural materials, such as fine woollen or cotton skin-toned fabric, generally filled with pure wool stuffing, hair and clothing materials are also made from natural fibres. The doll-makers use techniques drawing on traditional European doll-making, the doll's appearance is intentionally simple in order to allow the child playing with it to develop the imagination and creative play. For instance, it has either no features, or a simple neutral expression. The legs and arms are soft and if flexible allow natural postures. Dolls vary in the form best suited to the stage of development of the child; from a simple sack or pillow doll for a baby; a knotted or handkerchief style for a teething child; a simple doll with bulky limbs and either short hair or a hat for a toddler. 
(Wikipedia)

**As far as I can ascertain, Jo's textile group haven't yet banned her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment